[SEL] Stover CT1

jlb94 at juno.com jlb94 at juno.com
Wed Nov 17 21:09:22 PST 2004

Hi Ed,

Actually - NO - I wouldn't have a pic of the oil slinger - but - I made a
new one for my Stover as the one in there seemed too little to do
anything.

I made mine to fit on the lower rod cap bolt - the same width as the cap
and tapered it to a blunt point as it extends into the oil.

Total length is about an inch & a quarter (1¼" ) with only about three
quarter of an inch
extending toward the oil or bottom of the engine.

It was also curved forward. Sort of like a bent finger or very similar to
a finger pick used in guitar playing. Not a real sharp bend, just sort of
curved forward.
=        =        =
As for the wad of felt in the bearing caps - - - I was tempted to take
mine out - then decided not to as that might allow the bearing to go dry
too fast or allow the bearings to leak.  Felt stays wet with oil and
lubricates the crank.  I don't think they should be too tight but should
be snug enough to stay in.

I sort of felt the tiny slinger I had may have prevented my trip rod from
getting enough oil and causing it to stick.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask any questions as you make that slinger.

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com
 ,-._,-.          "God made man at the end of the week -
 \/)"(\/          when He was tired."
 (_o_)          http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz