[SEL] John Deere Fuel Tank/Oil Pan

Luke Tonneberger flywheelin at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 11:52:54 PST 2004

Hi Everybody,

A couple weeks ago I asked about sealing up the crankcase and fuel tank on
my 3hp John Deere. I picked up some cork type gasket material from Carquest
and cut myself some new gaskets. I cleaned up all the cast surfaces with a
razor blade then wiped them down with mineral spirits. I then took some
permatex and put a small bead on the cast surfaces and assembled it all
together. I did all this the weekend before last. This past weekend I added
the oil and some fuel and cranked it up. It started and ran fine and didn't
have any leaks show up.  Time will tell, but it looks good so far.  Just
thought I'd share with the way I did it. Thanks for the advice everyone gave
me. Here is a few pictures I took while I was working on it.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/luket/jd/jd.html

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA