[SEL] Little OT pitcher pump that I want to drive with Herc.

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Wed Jun 30 08:56:41 PDT 2004

Hi Bill,
When I was but a wee lad an Aunt in SE Kansas had one of those in her
kitchen.  It would pump water from the cistern outdoors to a tank up in the attic.
Then, she could turn on the faucet in her kitchen sink and water from the attic
tank would flow.

Your pump has a packing gland and, on the lift stroke can build enough
pressure to easily put water 15 or 20 feet higher than the pump.  Once you find a
good leather (have you looked at the one it has in it?  Maybe oiling it with
neatsfoot oil will rejuvenate it and you won't need a new leather.) When you have
cleaned the check valve (should be a ball or leather flap at the bottom) your
pump should prime itself, especially if you are lifting water from only a
foot or two below the pump.

If you want to run it like a picture pump, just remove the plug and install a
faucet.  You should keep the handle setup because it is designed to give a
straight pull to the piston rod as required by the packing gland.  With a hose,
and nozzle, your should be able to squirt water a good distance with this
pump.  What you have is a prehistoric pressure washer.

Nice find!

Regards,
Ron Carroll
Nokesville, Virginia