[SEL] Maytag Model 92 Status

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Sat Jun 26 19:33:10 PDT 2004

Hi List,
I am working on my third Maytag Model 92.  The other two are running great.
They start on the first or second kick.  It is a sweet sound to hear the hit
miss rhythm.  I have no idea how long since these engines last ran.  The first
one was purchased at Paso Robles Branch 27 swap meet.  The party from whom I
purchased the engine said that it had been sitting in his garage for 20 years
and he never ran it.  It needed some ignition and carburetor work.  The second
unit was obtained from a friend who had no idea when this engine ran the last
time.  This unit also needed some ignition and carburetor work. Third unit
also obtained from the same friend.  He picked it up at an old mine site with the
permission of the owner.  The spark plug wasn't install and as a result water
got in the cylinder.  Needless to say, the engine was stuck.  Ignition and
governor parts are also missing.  The flywheel was not installed but was near
the engine  The gas tank was filled with water.
The first thing I did was to clean the gas tank.  It was a mess.  The
carburetor is being soaked in thinner.  The screen on the check valve is gone.
Now I am in the process of getting the piston out of cylinder.  I tried the
grease gun method and I got the piston to move to the point where the exhaust
port was uncovered.  That is as far as I could get it to move.  I decided to
use Paul Pavlinovich's  method to get it out.  I made a 5/16" thick square iron
plate with 3/8" holes matching the cylinder mating holes.  In the center of
this plate, a ½" diameter was bored.  I used a one end of ½" all thread rod to
fashion a "J" hook to fit under the piston pin.  The other end went into the
center of the plate.  I used 4 short equal lengths of 3/8" pipe as supports
between the plate and the cylinder which was fastened together with bolts.  The
distance between the cylinder and the plate is about 6".  Fastening the "J" hook
under the wrist pin and, then, a ½" nut was installed on the other end.
Turning this nut, causes a pulling force to be applied to piston.  I got the
piston to move about 3/8" before the "J" hook gave way.  Well, tomorrow is another
day.
By the way, anyone have an extra set of points and governor parts for a
Maytag 92?

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, California