[SEL] System Outage

Spencer Yost syost at triad.rr.com
Sun Jun 20 18:59:49 PDT 2004

The note I sent last Thursday about the new ATIS system and an update to my
professional situation was sent literally less than an hour before the
server that ran ATIS lost the only drive (boot drive) that wasn't on a RAID
array.   The ATIS server was sold as part of my business last month with
the clause in the business separation agreement that Piedmont Systems
continue to host ATIS until the end of June.  Fortunately I was called in
to consult with them and help restore the server.   Found out they had no
backups after I left )-;

Long story short:   A couple of long days with a Partition and MBR editing
utility saved the data but not the drive.   The old system came backup
yesterday.   But since I was no longer going to trust the old server and
the care and administration it was getting I went ahead and initiated the
changes to DNS last Friday to start the switch to the new equipment.   That
is why still tonight some people are having trouble.  DNS is still
propagating.  Thanks God the folks at Road Runner came early for me.   They
weren't supposed to install my business class service until Saturday.  This
saved us quite a bit of time.   At least ATIS will be back up, mostly, by
tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your patience and more to come later,

PS  The OFES, Ford-Ferguson, and Steam-engine lists are still down as are
several web based utilities at ATIS.   I will continue to work to restore
services without stop or break

PSS  Happy Father's day to all the father's out there!

Spencer