[SEL] British Engine show Rules / now waste of space

Hugh Stannard hugh.stannard at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 15 10:24:41 PDT 2004

On a different slant to this post, at English rallies the stationary engines
are usually the poor relation and as such, only get a small site on the
rally field and are usually cramped up in a compound. As a regular rally
attender I accept this fact and generally help out the engine marshalls by
keeping close up to the next exhibitor leaving enough space to get all the
other engine exhibitors into the allowed space. But there seem to be an
increasing number of so called "engine enthusiasts" who selfishly arrive
early and set up camp with numerous cars, caravans complete with awning for
one small (usually the cheapest) engine on the market and take up massive
amounts of room and then generally leave it alone all day and not even
attempt to run it. What we term as ticket engines. A way to get into the
rally for free!!

See http://community.webshots.com/album/152913114ivvZBy for an example. I am
going to take more photos during my rounds this season and put them in my
hall of shame. Is this just typical in England or do any other countries
suffer these selfish people? Maybe some-one with an engine related website
would like to host this "Hall of Shame"? Then we could all contribute
photographs of our experiences?

Lets see if this sparks off some comments!!

Regards,

Hugh Stannard,
Rushden, England.