[SEL] Briggs Question - Update

jlb94 at juno.com jlb94 at juno.com
Thu Jun 10 07:25:31 PDT 2004

Hi List,

A little while ago I sent out a question on how to adjust the valves on a
Briggs & Stratton.

I couldn't imagine how a valve could stretch and be bigger than it was
when installed.

Thanks to all who responded. It is much appreciated.

Sometimes my thinking just defy's all logic.  When I finally got around
to taking the valve out of the engine, I realized that the valve face had
simply worn away.  (Stupid me !)  Thus, making the valve seem too long
and not seating.  Feeling that I "had nothing to lose", I figured I need
to reface the valve.

I stuck it in the drill press to spin it and used a file to reface the
valve.  Then ground the end of the stem to fit the valve in the engine
with a .007 clearance.  Looking at the work I did,  I was starting to
feel like a damn machinist !!!  I actually felt good about what I did !

After installing the valve and putting the little engine back together -
I gave it a little squirt of gasoline and pulled the rope - - - IT
STARTED !! and ran for about 2 seconds.

Then I tried again and the engine seized up.  Damn !!! What happened ???
It seemed that something got into the cylinder (or so I thought).  Upon
taking the piston out I found that there was a bunch of aluminum shavings
between the rings and the piston groves.  I guess the rings were "frozen"
to the piston and now I have a scored cylinder wall.

CAUTION - - Never take for granted the condition of things you cannot
see.

I still have hope for the little engine.  I've cleaned up the cylinder
and feel it just might be runable in this condition.  If the cylinder
wall scores again, then I guess it will be JUNK.

Right now I'm soaking the carburetor parts in denatured alcohol so
dissolve the varnish.

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com
,-._,-.          "Poor is the nation having no heroes -
\/)"(\/            Shameful is the one having them that forgets "
(_o_)          http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz