[SEL] Schmidt's Chilled Cylinder

Ronald J Mattson r.j.mattson at juno.com
Wed Jun 9 04:35:02 PDT 2004

Hi All,
Just picked up a 3 HP, air cooled Schmidt's. It looks like it was used as
a boat anchor- pretty rusty, but the former owner did manage to get it
apart with some damage. The piston is busted and the rod is rotted so bad
that it is unusable. I would like to find a piston and rod, I know this
is not the most common engine but if anyone has a wasted parts engine,
please let me know.
I also would like to find out about the ignition system, it has a spark
plug hole so I'm guessing that it used a buzz coil. What I need to know
is what triggered the coil, the details of the contacts etc, etc. Did it
have a spark advance?
I have copies of some ads that show the pin stripes but need to know the
original color. Was it red with a silver cylinder?
Thanks for any help you can give with this project.
Ron in RI