[SEL] Maytag Information Needed

Alan Bowen alanb2 at webtv.net
Sat Jun 5 21:12:29 PDT 2004

Hi Francis,

I have one of the overhead mounted Maytag twins.  Someone made an angle
iron frame to mount it, but the original mounting plate is still there.

It is rather thin metal and is attached to the top two bolts/studs on
each side that hold the cylinders on.

This question has come up before,,,,
I guess I will have to take a picture of it as it is now then take it
apart to show the original plate and post the pictures on a web page.
With my new job I don't have much engine time available, but I will try
to get at it soon.

That Maytag, with the others and a 4hp footed-base Ottawa, is in a Ford
van that that I need to empty out and have the scrap man haul away this
week anyway.

If you would rather have a different style tank then I have a friend
that probably has one for sale.  I could give him a call. He isn't
online. It would be a while before I could grab it for you.

Alan Bowen  alanb2 at webtv.net
Williamsburg, Michigan

~~~~~~You wrote~~~~~

Hi List,
I understand from the research I have completed that the two cylinder
Maytag came with one of 5 (five) different gas tanks. The unit that I
have has the aluminum tank and therefore it doesn't have a flat mounting
base. The other tanks are made of cast iron with provisions to hold the
engine down. This particular model of Maytag (with the aluminum tank)
that I have is supposed to hang from an overhead mount. The P.O. of this
engine made a mount so that the engine can be fitted to a flat surface.
In order to do this, the top of the gas tank was modified to fasten 4
(four) brackets with bolts. I would like to obtain a cast tank or find
out how this engine was originally mounted to an overhead mount. To
date, I haven't been able locate a different gas or how the overhead
mount is fabricated and where it attaches to the engine. Can anyone
point me in the right direction to either find a replacement cast iron
tank or how to make the overhead mount and connect it to the engine?
Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, California