[SEL] Re: Briggs Question

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Thu Jun 3 11:22:17 PDT 2004

In order for it to have enough wear to need "adjustment", you'd most likely
be able to see wear in the valve face - you'll see a ring worn into the
valve.
Otherwise, I've only ever had to make the clearance adjustment on a couple
(that's over 30 years time) that didn't have valves ground or lapped.
If you have that much valve wear, they need to be ground and lapped anyway.
If the valve doesn't look visibly worn, chances are the clearance is still
within range like MT says.
Valves and seats wear, that's what causes the loss of clearance. Otherwise,
other ordinary wear should actually increase valve clearance (tappet and cam
wear, stem wear, etc.)
When it comes down to it - it's unusual to have to make clearance
adjustments on small block B&S engines unless there has also been other
valve related work done.
Due to the cam grind, you won't really feel a hard hit on compression like
you may on similar engines of other brands. B&S simply turns over easier and
more smoothly.

Bill