[SEL] Herc cart progress update.

BetCleve321 at aol.com BetCleve321 at aol.com
Tue Jun 1 14:35:04 PDT 2004

In a message dated 6/1/2004 1:25:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
curt at imc-group.com writes:
If we look to modern engines we can see that lockwashers are being used
less and less as understanding of their minimal benifits comes to light.
Rod caps, crank mains, and even transmission pans (yes, a gasketed
joint), no longer have lockwashers on them because they tear up the base
metal when removed, and because they are completely unnecessary to keep
the bolted connection tight.

Curt Holland
Gastonia,
I have a small collection of square head fasteners here. I have a square nut
that is convex on one side with no flat area at all. The corners are slightly
rounded and the 'flat' side is concave. No place for a lock washer on the top
which is  not suitable for a bearing surface at all.
I got a 5/16 square head bolt and nut. The nut is flat on the bottom and
rounded on the corners on the top side with a bearing area. Just like a modern hex
nut. The bolt head is identical with the exception that there is to hole in
the center, just flat with beveled corners and a raised letter 'E' . Nice place
for a bearing surface but no way to make something  bear on it except maybe a
die with a female 'E' in it.
Maybe some vendors just have better nuts than others.
Remember when they were called bolts and burrs?

Skip