[SEL] Acknowledgement of e-mail Nat Rally

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 23:27:42 PDT 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 19:52:38 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>Hi Adam,
>
>What sort of national law requires $10 mill. insurance?  How extensive is
>this sort of requirement?  Just for old engine exhibitors or anyone?  For
>example if I wanted to throw a village picnic would all participants need
>to have $10 mill. insurance cover?  How about buskers (street
>entertainers)?  Do they need the $10 mill. cover?  DOes it depend on their
>act?  Mimes and singers, no.  Jugglers and accordian players yes?

Our engine club has £5,000,000 liability insurance, individually,  for its
members, that is the going rate now if you want to exhibit in the UK. That
equates to:

$US 9,174,500

or

$AU 12,932,418

>How about automobile liability; $10 mill also?  More?

Unlimited in the UK for 3rd party accidents IIRC.

>Seems a VERY strange national requirement in the absence of abundent
>evidence of mass carnage at engine rallys.  At least with autos on the
>road there's a huge database of evidence of death and destruction.

Yes, I have to agree with you, Arnie, but it is a requirement and we are now in
the era of the 'ambulance-chasers' and lawyers who offer to pursue liability
claims for almost any kind of accident or incidient, however small. Litigation
is what is going to kill the small rallies as they sink below the paperwork,
regulations and insurance premiums.

Unfortunately while we have inherited these things from overseas, we haven't
inherited their relatively low premiums for insurance cover!

>See ya,  Arnie
>
>Arnie Fero

Peter

--