[SEL] Best Known Name in Stationary Engine World?

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Fri Jul 23 10:37:56 PDT 2004

Hi Folks,

Last night I was reading the Profile piece on David Edgington (written by
Eric Brain) in the April 2004 issue of Stationary Engine magazine.

It was an interesting and informative piece on one of the guys who is very
well known in English engine circles.  In addition to being the founder of
the magazine in 1974 he's also published a number of key reference books
including (among others) "Amanco Engines", "The Story of Petters Limited,"
and "The History and Development of the Lister D Type."  He's also a
frequent contributor to Stationary Engine and TOMM.  I don't know if he's
ever had anything published in GEM or not.

Now to the subject of this post.

In the piece Eric states...  "David Edgington can be described as the best
known name throughout the stationary engine world but at the same time, he
has one of the least known faces."

It's the first part of that statement that intrigued me.  And yes, I do
realize that it was the contrast that Eric was getting at.
Nevertheless...

We have folks on the list from the US, Canada, England, Wales,
Netherlands, South Africa, Austrailia, New Zeland, etc.

OK folks, do you agree with that statement?  Is "David Edgington" THE
NAME?  Or, if not, whose name would you offer up?  Or are the "stars" in
the hobby local ones only?

Here in the US I think that Glenn Karch is probably better known than
David Edgington (but I could be wrong) and I'll bet that very few in
England or Oz would recognize Glenn's name.

In terms of number of books published, I'll wager that David Edgington is
at the top of the list by a good margin.  But as the politicians say,
"How's the name recognition?"

Give it some thought and post if you've a mind to.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com