[SEL] A Baker Monitor question

Curt Holland curt at imc-group.com
Wed Jul 21 11:50:59 PDT 2004

  Ref: Curt,
I'm not quite sure what you mean....
Harry,
On each part mounted on a shaft such as gears and pump jack arms, the
key ways are broached on an angle instead of parallel to the bore. This
allows a slip fit of the part. After each part is in place a tapered
key, sometimes called a gib key, is driven in until it locks up. This
locks the gear to the shaft.

As a manufacturing method it greatly reduced the complexity of assembly.
Whereas a .001/.002"  interference fit required the female part to be
heated, usually 300 to 400 degrees F to allow enough expansion to slide
on the shaft.

The taper is very slight, generally is around .010 per inch of hub width
and is easily mistaken for a straight broached key way.

Baker used tapered keys and cut the gib head off, grinding the keys
flush with the ends of the shafts. This makes them impossible to remove
and the only way to take the engines apart without risking breaking the
cast parts is to just bore the shafts out of the hubs, intersecting the
key ways. Once the key ways are driven in towards the now hollow shaft
the shaft shrinks and is easily pulled out. You have to make new shafts,
but that's OK, you saved the castings and generally the shafts are worn
out anyway.
Curt