[SEL] Nat Rally

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Wed Jul 21 06:47:50 PDT 2004

We found locally that expenses could be reduced when competition was
introduced.
For example, due to lack of volunteers, there was always the same person
lining up certain things like the toilets. Then suddenly someone else says
"hey, what about Joe's Toilets" or whatever. Then suddenly the cost goes
down, the service is better.
Similar for food - when one group controls it, it's costly and people
complain (man, don't we know that here). Then you get some competition in
there and prices drop.
Of course in this part of the country we complain if a meal costs more than
$4 so you can imagine.
Gee, competition, supply and demand, capitalism, hmmmmmm.
When you get rid of the same old bunch always doing the same old thing the
same old way and get some new blood in and some competition and do things
differently, you'll succeed in not only growing the show but reducing costs.

(Have some drink company sponsor the toilets - then they can control the
coming and going of liquid refreshments.)

Sounds to me like that was an event to make money, not to put on a show for
the public and enjoyment of the hobby.

And yeah, take some examples away from successful shows in the US, like
Arnie said. IF we can do it, they can do it.

Bill