[SEL] Need Stover Help!

Joe Prindle joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 17:42:09 PDT 2004

I fail to understand what the problem is with the set up that you have
pictured. The fuel saver arm should only be doing its job when the exhaust
valve is being held open. In the photos it looks like it fits good, the
intake valve is free to open. If the exhaust valve were held open, the
little finger on the bottom of the rocker arm would move out of the way so
that the torsion spring that belongs on the fuel saver could swing the
fuel saver over under the washer on the intake valve and keep the intake
valve from being sucked open by the air rushing in and out of the cylinder
while the engine is on the miss strokes. The fuel saver arm comes into
play only when the exhaust rocker arm is holding the exhaust valve open.
In the photos, it does not look like the rocker arm is holding the exhaust
valve open, so the fuel saver should not be in position under the washer
on the intake valve.
It looks to me like what you have pictured is very close to being a
working assembly, with little more than a little handiwork with a file
needed to make it all fit together nicely.
Perhaps I am not looking at this right, but it looks pretty good to me.
Joe

=====
Joe Prindle
Patternmaker, Founder & Machinist