[SEL] Need Stover Help!

Paul Maples pmaples at anaxis.net
Fri Jul 16 06:32:43 PDT 2004

Folks you all know that I have been trying for years to find the right Fuel
Saver Arm for my 1905 Vertical Stover. I thought I had finally succeeded
when my good friend John Billings wrote me that he had purchased a Stover
and he thought it had the exact arm on it I needed. Not only did John give
me this information but he immediately offered to take his arm off and have
one cast for me and send it to me. John took the part off of his Stover, had
one cast for me, and then machined it and sent it to me.......what a
friend......

I got the parts in last Friday and excitedly ran out to the shop to install
them. It became apparent immediately that this was not the right arm. I am
enclosing pictures of my Stover Head without the rocker arm and fuel saver
arm installed and then I show the head with the rocker arm and the new fuel
saver arm that John made for me. The pictures will affirm the following:

The bevel grind that John put on the arm (which was correct for his engine)
is on the wrong side for my setup. Although this is wrong this would be an
easy fix if this was all that was wrong.

Also you will not that the arm will have to have a right hand bend in it to
properly work as now it is as close as it can get the to contact plate on
the valve. I know that cast iron cannot be bent but I now have the basic
design of the arm and by having this part I can calculate the amount of bend
I would need in a correct arm. I have confirmed, by looking at the wear
pattern on the rocker arm finger that the fuel saver arm did set on the head
at this exact angle thus also confirming that the arm did originally have a
bend in it in order to reach the valve contact plate. Here are pictures of
my head and parts:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/163076625/163077139KGQWJV

I am searching for several things at this point. It is obvious to me that
Stover installed many different fuel saver arms on his engines as there are
many configurations out in the engine world. I would love to find someone
who has my exact setup as this would make it easier for me to redesign the
parts I have and make them work. I also need an understanding of just how
this fuel saver arm works and should be set up.

I not only want to get my engine setup but, after all of the problems I have
encountered, I want to put together a small booklet on Stover Fuel Saver
Arms and make this available to the engine public (free - only cost postage
to mail to you). I would appreciate all of the pictures I could get of
Stover Fuel Saver Arms advising me of the following:

Year and Model of Engine the Fuel Saver Arm is On.
Model Number and Serial Number of Engine
Horse of Engine
Your Name (if you want to give it)

I will compile this information into a colored brochure, or booklet, and
make it available to anyone who would want one.

Thanks and I am looking forward to hearing from all of you Stover Owners who
have engines with Fuel Saver Arms on them.

Thanks,

Paul