[SEL] AOL users of ATIS

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Tue Jul 6 11:38:37 PDT 2004

Long story short: - AOL was blocking mail from many mail servers in the
Triad NC area, including mine.  This outage lasted fro a few days by was
fixed early this mourning, according to AOL.

Long story long: - AOL blocks mail being sent directly from dynamic and
"residential"(I am not sure how they define or identify "residential)
address.  They assume this mail should come from the ISPs mail server, not
directly from the addresses of this ISP.  Late last week or this weekend
Time Warner(AKA Road Runner), a parent/sibling company of AOL, sent a block
of IP addresses to AOL as residential or dynamic IP addresses.
Unfortunately, according to AOL, this block of IP address was incorrect and
even more unfortunately, this block included my IP address(I am neither
dynamic or "residential" by the way).  AOL/RR caught their own problem and
fixed it but not until there was at least 1-2 days of blocked mail.

Sorry for any inconvenience.   Here is a like to a web page explaining the
error I was receiving from AOL:

http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rtrbb.html

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS