[SEL] Little OT pitcher pump that I want to drive with Herc.

Alan Bowen alanb2 at webtv.net
Sat Jul 3 11:29:33 PDT 2004

Hi Bill,

Sorry,,,, I don't have any idea who made your pump.

I do have one that is bigger though.  It is also in a lot worse shape.
Ten years ago it was brought up from a large boat that had been sunk for
forty years then. 8>))

It has a larger bore and just two 3/4" pipe outputs.  It would have
probably put out a lot of pressure.

It is gonna be a real challenge getting it open.  The top packing seems
to be shot. Last summer, right after I got it, I filled up a barrel and
set the pump on top. I washed a LOT of sand out of it. Then with a prime
it pumped a LOT of water,,,,, Most of it came out the top where the
packing is shot.  Considering the overall condition and where it spent
so much time,,,, I thougtht it did real good.  8>))

It must have been used to pull up lake water.  It was a good sized
wooden fishing boat that spent most of it's working life on Lake
Michigan.  It sank though on the middle lake of the three lakes here
that are connected together by a small river and the two end lakes each
have access to lake Michigan.   The North lake in the three is Walloon
Lake where Ernest Hemmingway lived and did a lot of writing.  (trivia)
I know today they bring very large yatchs into Walloon Lake.

I am sure your pump will make a nice display before mine does.  8>))

Alan Bowen  alanb2 at webtv.net
Williamsburg, Michigan

~~~~~~You wrote~~~~

Hey Men;
I still have not had anyone able to tell me who Manufactured my pitcher
(Cistern) pump, it has FP and a part number cast into all the cast
fittings, could that be Fairbanks Pump just guessing. Also what chemical
can I use to get the worse tarnish off the brass cylinder, Paul Maples
has a big buffer that we can put the finishing touch to it and should I
urethane clear coat it outside when I get the brass bright.

Does anyone have one like this or has seen one besides the two fellows
that said they had seen one in their childhood?

I got a good message from Curt Andree today, he said he had the leathers
for it, all my pump pictures are at this address

http://community.webshots.com/album/157829854MYkbaV

Thanks,
Bill Miller,
Memphis, TN.