[SEL] Coil Question

Andrew tech at andrew2.netpluscom.com
Fri Dec 31 14:01:23 PST 2004

The core acts as cooling and as a conductor of the magnetic fields
generatoed by the coil of wire.
Now, a coil of wire will have a certain amount of resistance based on the
length and size, but when an electric current is applied to that coil the
resistance changes because of the electro-magnetic field acting on it. The
core helps conduct the magnetic field, the resistance gets higher causing
the coil to draw less current. It's called inductance, Now when you
remove that core it changes the pattern of concentration of the magnetic
field, (it would be weeker at the points where it needs to be
concentrated). When that happens then the design resistance of the coil
drops, it draws more current until it finally just burns up. Strange huh?

tech at andrew2.netpluscom.com
engineering at andrew2.netpluscom.com
b10730 at hotmail.com

Visit the website at http://www.netpluscom.com/~10730/