[SEL] pipe taps, threads, and fittings

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Tue Dec 28 14:19:33 PST 2004

> Pipe threads used for electrical
> conduit have the same outside diameter and pitch as the starting
> diameter of tapered pipe threads and they will screw together quite
> nicely onto PROPERLY manufactured tapered pipe fittings despite the
> apparent conflict in geometry that indicates that they won’t. This is
> due to the female tapered thread having a larger starting diameter than
> the male thread to make engagement easier. Where sealing is of no
> consequence they may be used interchangeably.

I've been using a 90° elbow of 1 1/2" conduit for Dolly's exhaust for
quite some time. Works fine with the relatively short length and a
relatively small, light muffler. (I'm using a Wisconsin muffler now.) I
used some Teflon sealant on the threads and have no problems with
leakage.

Good to see you back on the List, Rich!

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA