[SEL] Tod Engine Foundation Acquires Ingersoll Rand Steam Air Compressor

Todengine at aol.com Todengine at aol.com
Sun Dec 12 15:38:49 PST 2004

In a message dated 12/10/2004 5:40:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, Todengine
writes:
Thanks to the efforts of James Hefner of the the Surviving World Steam
Project the Tod Engine Foundation is now the proud owner of an Ingersoll Rand Type
10 Imperial two cylinder steam air compressor. The engine was donated by Park
Ohio Industries from their drop forgings plant in Cleveland, Ohio.  We estimate
the engine dates back to at least 1917. This plant once operated steam
forging hammers making crankshafts, most notably being the shafts for the 16
cylinder EMD diesel locomotive engines.  A couple of the hammers are still in place
and I have been promised a tour of them next week.  Rest assured I will have
numerous photos of the hammers to share after the tour.

The engine is about 8' wide and 13' long overall, with a 64" diameter
flywheel.  It is complete including flyball governor and original Ingersoll Rand air
pressure gauge!  The engine was removed from the powerhouse building as it was
being demolished as the plant management wanted to see it preserved instead
of scrapped.

The Tod Engine Foundation has pledged to restore and exhibit this engine in a
place of honor next to the Tod Engine in our to be constructed enginehouse
building. In the interim it will be moved to our restoration shop for cleaning
and restoration.

Next Tuesday I will be up in Cleveland to begin dismantling for shipment.  I
intend to break it down into several component pieces for transport to
Youngstown over a couple of days.  I have a one ton flatbed truck and dual axle
trailer available to haul the parts and a 2 ton crane in the restoration shop for
unloading, so the parts must be reduced to a manageable weight.  There will be
a forklift on site to assist in the dismantling and loading, and perhaps one
of the plant's mechanics will be made available to assist.

Photos of the compressor are online at
http://community.webshots.com/user/todengine

Rick Rowlands
Executive Director
Tod Steam Engine Historic Landmark
William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
Youngstown, OH
www.todengine.org