[SEL] Novo

Dave Ernst shop at cccomm.net
Fri Dec 10 07:19:50 PST 2004

Thanks for the imput guys.
Here is what I did. I drained the water/gas/sludge and filled it with diesel and let it set a few days, drained it,scraped what I could and flushed it with gas & compressed air. I took the oil covers off, drained the water,ect, flushed and added new oil.(I checked the level after Arnies suggestion), freed up and repacked the fuel pump.
I ran it later in the day yesterday for about 45 minutes and it still smoked heavily. It would run up to governor speed and hold steady (500 RPM) for awhile then begin to load itself up with oil. The engine speed drops to about 100 RPM then chokes, spits and sputters for awhile, then clears itself up. Interestingly it didn't foul the plug.
When I shut it down, the oil level was considerably lower.
I'm going to tear it down anyhow, but my guess is rings. It has good compression, but quite a bit of blow by when warm.
Any more thoughts?
Dave