[SEL] OT what do you call that tool?

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Sat Dec 4 23:38:00 PST 2004

Bill, adz is used to shape wood while a froe is used to split wood.  As
in a split shake shingle.  The adz is used with a somewhat of a chopping
motion like a hoe or mattock while the froe is struck with a club or
mallet usually made of wood.  The adz is used to "hollow out" wood in
much the same way a scorp does on a smaller scale.  Admittedly the scorp
   is used with a pulling motion.  You might use a scorp to hollow out
the bottom of a wood chair while you might use an adz to hollow out a
log to make a canoe or boat.

Gary

Bill Brueck wrote:
> Froe: a cleaving tool for splitting cask staves and shingles from the block
>
> So would that be the same thing as the adz?  Or maybe a specialized version
> of an adz?
>
>> Bill Brueck (brick)
> Chatfield, Minnesota USA
>
> Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.

In the Ozark Mountains of South Central USA where both life and I move
at a leisurely pace.