[SEL] Magnet recharging

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Fri Dec 3 08:14:11 PST 2004

> Hi all.  I have a question on recharging magnets.  When I turn on the
> charger and the magnet to be charged turns and lines up; do I
> place it on the charger in that position, or do i reverse it?

Hi Ron,
Let it line up the way it wants.  The north pole of your magent will go to the
south pole of your charger,  and the south of the magnet to the north of your
charger.

Warning:  Allowing parts to move around in the proximity of the magnet charger
could pose hazardous.  The magnet could be sucked onto the charger with such
force that something breaks.  Bits could also get thrown to the floor.

Like Gus said, a compass is a handy tool.  The earth, the magnets, and your
charger all have a north and south pole.  When charging, all you need to
remember is that opposites attract:  N to S, and S to N.

Confusion arises through use of the compass.  The N on the compass is the
north-SEEKING pole. The S is south-SEEKING.  Hold it near your charger, and the
N on the compass points to the north end of your charger.  Same for everything
else.

Rob