[SEL] New Portland Engine

Alan Bowen alanb2 at webtv.net
Mon Aug 30 18:48:05 PDT 2004

Ya Luke,

I knew it was too.   When I pulled the fuel line back out I fully
intended on putting one of the check valves I have made on it, but I
seem to have misplaced a parts kit.

So,,, When I drilled this one out and put it back together actually the
first time I pulled it over with the choke closed I got a LOT of gas.
Then I remembered I had opened the needle valve up a lot. 8>))

At 3/4 turn open it pulls up enough with one pull of the flywheels then
I open the choke all the way to start her.

I am anxious to take her to her first local show this weekend.  Now to
find a bunch of old time thick nuts to get rid of all those silly brass
ones.

There are three nuts that hold the cylinder base to the crank base.  At
least the one in the center bottom is an original nut.  I guess whoever
"restored" it thought that one wouldn't show.  I don't call all those
brass nuts part of a restoration.  I would like to know if the red and
green paint is right too.

Anyone else got an old 1 3/4 hp H&M MacLeod with a Webster mag that can
help with the color question?

TIA

Alan Bowen alanb2 at webtv.net
Williamsburg, Michigan

~~~~Luke Tonneberger wrote~~~~

Glad you got her running Alan. I knew it was a fuel problem. When you
cover the mixer opening like that and crank and crank and crank with no
fuel running out, something's not right :-)
Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA