[SEL] Portland 2004

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Sun Aug 29 17:07:57 PDT 2004

We've just got back home after our return flight from Chicago, left Muncie at
2am local time, so pretty bushed!

We had a GREAT time !!  no other word for it. We allowed extra time this year
for the travelling and also time to go to Dayton again, and also Indianapolis,
to the museum there.

We were extraordinarily lucky with the weather, with minimum disruption through
rain, but noticed on our way out of Ft Wayne that a huge bank of cloud and rain
was piled up southwards, and judging by the emails from the guys at Portland it
hit some time on the weekend. We had evening storms as we returned to Muncie,
with evening temperatures up at 87 Deg F with very high humidity.

Everything worked really well this year, the List dinner at the Back 40 was
superb, and Glenn Karch excelled himself as the auctioneer after the meal.

Engines and faces were more familiar to us this year, but lots of new stuff to
look at and photograph. Took 650+ pictures, so will have to start on editing
them and getting them up on the website as soon as we have had some rest.

Special thanks to Dave Rotigel, Jim Dunmyer and Curt Holland for fetching stuff
to the show for us, and we were able to bring some stuff back home for Dolly as
well.

The sales area was expanded this year, and despite having three full days on the
site we kept on coming across things we had missed or had come in during the
day. We were able to spend time this year on looking in more detail at specific
engines, and a lot of the pictures we took are details of engines as well as an
overall shot.

A looooong chat/discussion with Richard Baccus was one of the highlights of the
last day, thanks to Richard for an excellent discussion, not often you get the
chance to get firsthand feedback from the GEM editor :-))

That's all for now, off to bed!  It is now 1am on Monday morning.

Peter

--
Peter & Rita Forbes
diesel at easynet.co.uk