[SEL] Fuel tank sealer for diesel engines?

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Sun Aug 15 12:55:23 PDT 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:07:34 -0500, you wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>Two questions.  Father-in-law just purchased a military surplus diesel
>generator.  Runs excellent, but the fuel tank has many pinhole leaks from
>rust-through.
>
>1)  Is there a fuel tank sealer rated for diesel fuel?
>2)  How do you remove all the diesel from the tank so that the sealer can
>adhere?
>
>thanks,
>ben

Hi Ben:

To remove the diesel, wash out thoroughly with petrol or kero and leave to dry
in the sun for a couple of days.  There is residual oil in diesel fuel but a
good wash and dry will take it out.

Regarding the sealer, there are plenty of proprietary products around, but we
are in the UK so I cannot recommend anything over your side.

Peter

--
Peter & Rita Forbes
diesel at easynet.co.uk