[SEL] Webster Mag Date

Ted Brookover ignitors at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 10 05:19:08 PDT 2004

Hi Joe, good questions, unfortunately the answers are somewhat suspect.

The best information available is in Doc Schuster's book, "The Webster
System", where he states that Emil Podlesak was the superintendent of the
Webster Electric Co. prior to 1913 while the company was located in Tiffin,
OH.

Dr. Schuster also states that the move to Racine was brought about by an
eviction and a flood in Ohio, in 1913.

These two pieces of information are interesting, unfortunately in the next
paragraph or two he gives the impression that, 1. the change to Horseshoe
Magnets (AKA the birth of the Tri-Polar) came in or after 1913 and, 2. that
the brass frames were used till the WW I era (1914 to 1918 depending on your
location), since both of these have long since been shown to be false by
evidence from the period,  I am forced to be suspect of the first two.

First evidence of the Tri-Polar as I have said, shows up in magazines of
late 1911 and it has been my experience that brass frames were abandoned for
die cast Zinc sometime prior to 1914, as evidenced by picture in these same
magazines. Someone that has seen as many Websters as I have can spot the
Brass frames from the Zinc frames by the shape of the casting.

PS, thanks for the kind words from you and everyone else on the list.

Ted Brookover
4801 E. Red Bridge Rd.
Kansas City, Missouri, 64137
816-763-3142
ignitors at sbcglobal.net , Home Page,
http://www.oldengine.org/members/brookover/
Ignitor ID Page, http://www.oldengine.org/members/brookover/ign-id.htm

This Mail, Virus Scanned, by Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus