[SEL] Maytag questions

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Mon Aug 2 12:48:06 PDT 2004

Hi Curt,

Since Maytag Mark is busy setting up this week's show in Findlay, Ohio,
allow me to answer your questions.

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Curt Holland wrote:

> 1) What is a good way to brighten the aluminum flywheel on a Maytag? I
> used air conditioning fin cleaning acid and this was a good start but it
> is not brilliant shiny yet.

I recommend tumbling.  I would use an old cement mixer and add large
pieces of broken brick and concrete block.  A couple of weeks should do
it.

> 2) On a twin, what is/are the correct colors for each piece supposed to be?

Black.

> 3) At the outboard edge of the main bearing/bushings is something that
> looks like it may have been a seal at one time. Are there seals/felt or
> something that is supposed to be there?

JB Weld or PC-7 works really well.

> 4) Which way is the crown on the pistons to be oriented? When I took it
> apart one had the slope facing the exhaust port the other facing the
> intake port. Bet that didn't run well!

Doesn't matter.  They never run anyway.

> 5) What is a good method to attach one of these to the skids?

A coal miner's pick driven down through the crank-case and embedded in the
wood looks just about perfect.

> 6) Is there supposed to be a gasket between the bottom of the crankcase
> and the top of the gas tank?

Not necessary.

> 7) What is the 1/4 pipe plug in the top of the crankcase for?

The fuse...

Hope that helps....

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero